SUVs owners are essentially a special breed of truck owners. The style, color and especially the rims makes a statement about the owner of the vehicle. When choosing wheels for your SUV, you are telling the world what you think about your truck and yourself. Wheels can be either flashy or conservative, and it is up to you to decide which ones are the best option.
You Have Options
There are so many options available when choosing wheels for your SUV. It is one of the simplest ways to personalize your vehicle and make it stand out from all others. Swapping out the wheels can make a big difference in the vehicle’s overall appearance. There are also upgrades available on wheels that will enhance the vehicle’s performance such as cooler brakes and increased steering response. Some buyers choose to purchase oversized rims for their SUVs. Remember these two important things when choosing the right fit for your car:
The Right Fit
A wheel that does not fit properly will cause the vehicle to shake and vibrate. This can lead to more serious matters. Therefore, you need to consider these important factors for proper fitting.
- The offset is the spacing between the centerline of the wheel and the hub, and it determines how the wheel sits within the vehicle. A wheel with a positive offset will sit right under the car’s body. The side view of the SUV will look flat. With a negative offset, the wheel will protrude from under the body and give it a too-big look. The normal for most vehicles is the positive offset. This position also causes the SUV to give a better response time.
- Upgrading the wheel’s diameter and width is one of the first things people think about. When it comes to wheels, many people think that bigger is better. Although most vehicles can use multiple sizes safely, it is important to make sure the desired width is within the vehicles range. If it isn’t there may be serious damage to the vehicle and to its passengers. Not all SUVs can handle 20-inch or better rims.
Keeping your wheels clean and in good condition is important for the overall maintenance and reliability of your vehicle. Some things that should be considered are:
- Clean your wheels one at a time. Take care to use mild soap and a soft sponge or cloth and gently scrub the dirt away. Use clean water to rinse, and then wipe the wheel dry immediately with a different soft cloth. This will eliminate water spots. If you drive in a wet area most of the time, it is wise to apply wax to repel contaminants and rain water.
- Automatic car washes are convenient and easy to use, but they are not the best for the wheels. The water pressure, metal rails and hard brushes will damage the finish on the wheels.
- Do not use degreasers or abrasive cleaners. Any chemical-based cleaner will also damage the finish.
Choosing wheels for your SUV can be fun — just make sure your keep it safe.
1 person likes this post.